model trains for beginners newsletter

N Scale Layout

Everything related to model train layouts...

N Scale Layout

Postby MannixBonsi » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:30 am

A few months ago I purchased a copy of Cadrail and I didn't know there were so many different types of tracks for each scale. I live in Ontario Canada and my question is what type of N scale track do I design with? I would like to know which is the most popular track?

Paul
MannixBonsi

Re: N Scale Layout

Postby dmaynard » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:13 am

Paul, yes, there is quite a choice of track available in every scale. If you are purchasing it locally, then you will probably want to stick with what the local shop carries the most of. If you are ordering online, then you can choose whatever you want.

For sectional track, Kato (with the roadbed molded onto the track) is quite popular. Its a good, quality alloy, and since it has the roadbed molded into the track, its rather sturdy. But sectional track can be quite limiting. Most times its difficult to mix different brands of sectional track with the roadbed molded onto it, because each brand locks together differently.

For flex track, most folks go with the tried and true Atlas. I used Micro Engineering track on a small set up, and its also a good quality flex track. I like the Micro engineering stuff better then the Atlas, simply because the Micro Engineering stuff has a proper rail profile. As with sectional track, sometimes it can be a challenge to mix brands of track. Because even if the 2 brands are the same code (height of the rail), they can have different dimensions in the rail foot and web. This will make it difficult to properly join them together with rail joiners.
David A. Maynard
Shannon Car Shops of
Pittsburgh and Castle Shannon RR
dmaynard

Postby MannixBonsi » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:33 am

HI David

So what u r saying is that i have to stick to 1 brand of track as they r not compatible?

Thank u

Paul
MannixBonsi

Postby dmaynard » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:22 am

No you don't have to. But there are minor challenges to joining different brands together.

On the HO clubs' modules, most of the members used Peco track. I used Atlas track. I went with what I know. The Atlas rail joiners are loose on the Peco rails, and the Peco rail joiners will not fit on the Atlas rails. Even though both rails are code 83. I have to squish (a technical term) the Atlas rail joiners a little bit on one end, so they fit tighter on the Peco rails, to join Peco and Atlas together. So it can be done, we do it every show. But its a detail that I have to be aware of when I join the modules together.

So, different brands can be mixed and matched. I just wanted you to be aware that there may be some "adjustments" that need to be made, in order to use different brands together. That's all.
David A. Maynard
Shannon Car Shops of
dmaynard

Postby MannixBonsi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:27 am

Thank u David.

I am making notes as we go along so when i am ready to desingn my layout then i will have this wealth of knowledge at my fingertips.

Where about's is your show?

Paul
MannixBonsi

Postby dmaynard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:41 am

We do several shows. The last one was in the Mt Lebanon Municipal building, for light up night. The Thursday before Thanksgiving. Our next one will be at the Science Center on the north side, or is it the west end, of Pittsburgh. That will be the first weekend of January, for Locomotion Weekend. I love that show. That show has a lot of kids come though, and they just love the trains.

Then, later in the spring, the NMRA group should be at the Greenberg show in Monroeville PA.
David A. Maynard
Shannon Car Shops of
dmaynard

Postby MannixBonsi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:41 pm

Wow. i bet they do. wish we had alot more exhibitions here in Toronto. But i think they only have a show once a year here.

Paul
MannixBonsi

Return to Model Train Layouts