model trains for beginners newsletter

EZ COMMAND CONTROLLER PROBLEM

Problems, ideas and advice on DC powered layouts and general wiring...

EZ COMMAND CONTROLLER PROBLEM

Postby TRAIN_GUY2511 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:47 am

hello everyone!! believe my ez command has a problem. I could be wrong. this is what I am experiencing. recently purchased 3 locos, two are digital the b an m an a chessie system, last one is a standard dc steam loco. when I put one of the digital locos on the track, I can not get it to go forward, because the address is 3 default, that I know but loco will not move. when I put the ez command on the loco lights up an also has engine noise. I believe nothing is wrong with loco. but what happens after I shut off the controller the loco then moves forward by about 5 inches then stops. same scenario with the chessie. for the steam loco it runs perfect. I hope I explained clearly. any help would be much appreciated. have had controller for about a year.
TRAIN_GUY2511

Re: EZ COMMAND CONTROLLER PROBLEM

Postby dmaynard » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:39 am

The DCC locos light up and make noise, so you have power. It will run the DC locomotive. I am assuming that the DCC controller is set to 0000 when you run that locomotive. The DCC locomotives move when the power is switched off. It tells me that for some reason the controller is not "talking to" the locomotive.

Are you sure that you have things wired up properly?

Did it used to work with DCC locomotives?
David A. Maynard
Shannon Car Shops of
Pittsburgh and Castle Shannon RR
dmaynard

Postby TRAIN_GUY2511 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:55 am

ty dan for replying. yes the controller has always worked with dcc locos. my first 3 dcc locos I purchased over a year ago work fine, they have addresses 3 4 an 5. everything is properly hooked up as well. i'am thinking maybe there could be a short somewhere I really don't know. first new dcc loco I recently purchased I tried was a chessie, I know all dcc locos have number 3 address as the default, so I tried to give the chessie the number 6 address, but its a no go. I honestly don't think anything is wrong with the two new dcc locos. I recently purchased a digitrax dcc. should be arriving by Tuesday.
TRAIN_GUY2511

Postby dmaynard » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:00 am

I think you will be happier with the Digitrx system.

Suggestion; most people use the cab number (the number on the locomotive) as the address. That way forgetful people like me can remember what address each locomotive is.

You wonder if there is a short in the system you have. It could be that for some reason more power is being drawn from the power pack then it can handle, so the DCC command station doesn't have the power it needs to work properly. Maybe the power pack is getting weak.
David A. Maynard
Shannon Car Shops of
dmaynard

Postby TRAIN_GUY2511 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:06 pm

thnx once again for replying dan. i would like to keep the ez command an put it in storage. what if i bought a new power pack for the controller? would it fix my problem? i like to hold on to everything i have whether it be trains or anything else. this may be a stupid question, but need to ask it. when i get the digitrax up an running, could i remain to keep the ez command hooked up to my layout to run my other locos if i dont wish to use the digitrax at times an vice a versa
TRAIN_GUY2511

Postby dmaynard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:45 am

I understand wanting to hang onto anything useful. My garage makes grown men cry. :o ;) A new power pack may solve the issue. I can't say for certain, because I am only guessing what the issue is, based on what you told me.

You could use the EZ command on a test track, or other set up, if you get it working. But I would not have 2 different supplies, of any type, hooked up to the railroad at he same time. If you used a DPDT switch to isolate the one not being used, you could do that. Otherwise you could/will end up feeding power from one supply into the output terminals of the other. Feeding power into the output of any supply is almost guaranteed to damage it.
David A. Maynard
Shannon Car Shops of
dmaynard

Postby TRAIN_GUY2511 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:45 am

thnx for the info d. just recieved the digitrax today an hooked up. everything is now looking good. gotta go, my pennsylvania steam loco is now blowing smoke :D
TRAIN_GUY2511

Return to DC Power & Wiring