model trains for beginners newsletter

pond water

Anything about creating realistic scenery...

pond water

Postby twister » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:46 am

perplexed:

if I prepare all scenery around pond including down the banks before I pour the water, it gets soaked up like a siphon into the landscape. If I pour the water first, scenery lays on top and doesn't look real. Whats the best method to do this.
twister

Re: pond water

Postby dmaynard » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:11 pm

twister, I don't know what product you are using for water. I used a clear, water-based, urethane for my stream. To prevent the problem you are having I did most of of my scenery first, then painted the stream-bed with the urethane to seal it. After the urethane dried and sealed the stream-bed I could pour in thin layers of the urethane to fill in my stream. After the stream is done I will go back and place the plants along the banks of the stream. I would think you should be able to do the same with whatever product you are using, put a thin coat down to seal the area first, and after its dry fill your pond with more. Most products recommend thin layers like 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch, if you pour it too thick it may not dry properly and stay a milky color for a very long time.
David A. Maynard
Shannon Car Shops of
Pittsburgh and Castle Shannon RR
dmaynard

Re: pond water

Postby twister » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:36 pm

Thanks. Your method makes sense. I didn't seal the pond first. I have a high quality clear gloss water based sealer I use for other projects. I will try a few coats of that first. I am using majic water.
twister

Return to Realistic Scenery