model trains for beginners newsletter

Ballast

It may be off topic, but still about trains...

Ballast

Postby marioneach » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:32 pm

My husband purchased my first train (set) that included Power-Loc track. How do i add ballast to make it look more realistic, or do I leave it alone?
marioneach

Re: Ballast

Postby dmaynard » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:37 pm

You could brush a coating of white glue and water, 50/50 mix, onto the part of the roadbed that represents ballast, the gray part, not the ties. Then sprinkle on a thin coating of ballast. They sell bags of ballast in different shades of gray, and different degrees of coarseness, at the hobby shops, or you could purchase it on-line.
David A. Maynard
Shannon Car Shops of
Pittsburgh and Castle Shannon RR
dmaynard

Postby marioneach » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:23 pm

Thanks, David! I am aware of the 50/50 glue/water mix, and it seems to be used for many items, but wasn't too sure about the ballast in this situation.....Since we don't have a hobby shop in our small town, I order a great deal online, unless we are in a city for Dr. appointments. However, at the moment we are in Southern California for a few weeks, so, look out! Here I come with a list and some plastic. I can't wait. It's always good to see certain things up close and personal before purchasing. Thanks again for the suggestion! Sounds great.
marioneach

Postby Cordeiro » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:44 am

dmaynard wrote:You could brush a coating of white glue and water, 50/50 mix, onto the part of the roadbed that represents ballast, the gray part, not the ties. Then sprinkle on a thin coating of ballast. They sell bags of ballast in different shades of gray, and different degrees of coarseness, at the hobby shops, or you could purchase it on-line.

Hi Mr Maynard, I did that and added some ballast and it looks great!
Cordeiro

Postby dmaynard » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:30 pm

Great.

To my eye, the real deal always looks better then injection molded plastic.
David A. Maynard
Shannon Car Shops of
Pittsburgh and Castle Shannon RR
dmaynard

Return to Off Topic